Are you looking to be part of something new, based on something very old? Whalley Abbey is looking for a range of volunteers.
If you are good with people and happy to engage with physical work (inside or out) then get in touch!
The Abbey is our Diocesan Centre for Christian Discipleship and Prayer.
This fiarly recent development also means there is a praying community on the site now 24/7 for the first time in nearly five centuries.
The volunteers opportunities available currently are …
- Physical working party: Good with spades and barrows? Paths and roads needing repair with wacker plate and aggregate (both of which the Abbey has).
- Abbey Guides and Visitor Volunteers: To staff the Abbey Cabin; take donations from visitors; engage with them and give them the Abbey guide. Every day from 10-1, 1-4 and 4-7. Payment largely by card or phone.
- Volunteer cleaners and bed makers: Good at making beds and cleaning? To support the paid staff we are looking for people to clean the Abbey House and make beds on a rota.
- Volunteer meeters and greeters: Can you make people feel welcome the moment you meet them? Not too intrusive and sensitive to what people need. We need people to help the staff meet guests coming to stay or have a day in the Abbey House. You would be needed especially from 8-10am.
- Gardening volunteers: We are looking for reliable people who can join our small team of garden volunteers and are willing to follow our head gardener’s instructions.
To find out more please contact Andy Foot, Assistant Director, on 01254 828400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an informal chat or to arrange to come down and meet in person.
Ronnie Semley, originally posted in 2021 and updated in August 2023 with new contact info