Vision 2026 encourages us to be Healthy Churches Transforming Communities by Being Witnesses to Jesus Christ. Ways of doing this include:
- Sharing the Gospel of salvation with confidence
- Holding regular enquirers courses in as many local churches as possible. Click here for more information about enquirers courses
In September 2016 the Crossroads mission with Archbishop Sentamu and the Northern Bishops provided a focus for outreach activity across the Diocese. As part of the legacy from Crossroads, we are developing a Diocesan Evangelism Team, made up of lay and ordained people and spanning the full breadth of church traditions.
The purpose of this team will be twofold
- To offer mission/outreach weekends to the parishes of our diocese. The team will include a Bishop or Archdeacon, the Diocesan Missioner and a small number of people drawn from the Diocesan Evangelism Team.
- To offer people and resources to assist with local church outreach events.
The aim of the team is support the vision 2026 commitment to being witnesses to Jesus Christ by nurturing and developing individuals and churches in the ministry of witness, outreach and evangelisation.
If you know someone who might be a suitable team member, or your parish is interested in hosting an outreach event in 2017 or a Mission Weekend during 2018, please email Siobhan.firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
The following information, which may help you in planning future outreach events is available on the subsequent pages:
- You can access the Mission Preparation Guide by clicking here
- To find further resources to help you, including sample posters for you to adapt when advertising your events, click here
What was Crossroads?
Crossroads was an opportunity for us as a diocese to unite together in locally organised mission, outreach and evangelism. Archbishop Sentamu, together with the Bishops of the Northern Province and their teams, came to work in our diocese from 8th – 11th September 2016. We had 22 visiting Bishops, plus the Archbishop of York visiting our diocese alongside teams composed of a mix of lay people, youth workers, ordinands and clergy. The essence of Crossroads was local churches engaging in local mission. The events and style of the mission were decided at local church and deanery level, with the visiting mission team supporting what was decided by parishes.