Home / Events / County invited to take time out with Abbey Spirituality Programme /
County invited to take time out with Abbey Spirituality Programme
A varied Spirituality Programme at beautiful Whalley Abbey in the Ribble Valley continues this year with a series of great events, including the chance to spend a ‘Spirituality Day’ in the company of the Bishop of Blackburn, Rt Rev Julian Henderson, on May 25.
The Bishop was accompanied on his German visit by his wife Heather and the Archdeacon of Blackburn, The Venerable Mark Ireland, and his wife Gill.
Please note, to be sure of numbers the Abbey requires booking for all the following events.
The series of Spirituality Days cost just £15 per person, including a soup and sandwich lunch and are as follows:
- May 25: Bishop Julian, speaks on ‘Reformation 500’. Pictures from the visit can be seen currently on the Diocesan Facebook page.
- July 27: Rev Sally Ratcliffe, Methodist Minister at Whalley, Paythorne and Waddington churches, will lead a day entitled ‘This is my story, this is my song’ – a time of reflecting on the Christian journey and how to share this with others.
- September 28: The Venerable Michael Everitt, Archdeacon of Lancaster, will lead a day entitled ‘Psalms: Songs for Life’.
- November 2: Rev Jonathan Carmyllie, Vicar of Whalley, on ‘Let the Perpetual Light Shine’. On All Souls Day, this will be an opportunity to reflect on the ways in which we remember those who have died.
Meanwhile, starting in June and continuing for the rest of the year, there will also be a series of extended residential retreats:
- From June 6 – 8: there will be a retreat entitled ‘Pray As You Can’ led by Whalley vicar Rev Jonathan Carmyllie, exploring the rich heritage of Christian prayer, starting with the Celtic saints. Cost is £115 per person full board.
- On July 10 – 12: ‘The Spiritual Life of a Priest’ is a residential retreat which will be led by Archdeacon Mark. The cost is also £115 per person full board.
- From September 11 – 13: another residential retreat entitled ‘Tales By The Sea’ will be led by Rev. Sally Ratcliffe. It will explore the gospel stories set on and around the Sea of Galilee. Cost is £125 full board.
- From December 4 – 6: there will be an ‘Advent Retreat’ led by Rev Jonathan Carmyllie and the cost for this event will £125 per person, full board.
Finally, as part of the Spirituality Programme, Archdeacon Mark will also lead a series of ‘Reading Days’ for clergy, starting and finishing with prayers, on July 20, August 16, September 20, October 18 and November 22.
These Reading Days are free and refreshments are provided but please bring your own lunch.
In addition to all the above, Holy Communion is also celebrated every Friday morning at 9.30am at Whalley Abbey and all are always welcome to attend these communion services.
Speaking today, Archdeacon Mark said: ‘Whalley Abbey is a wonderful resource for the Diocese; a beautiful oasis of calm and peace, a great place to pray and to study.
“I find building regular visits to the Abbey into a busy diary helps to slow me down and keep me attentive to God. I would encourage everyone to book into one of the events we have organised, or to simply contact the Abbey direct and ask if you can come on your own on another date.”
The Abbey also welcomes bookings for individual retreats, or groups wanting to use the Abbey for private retreats.
For further information on all the above events and to book, please contact the Abbey office on 01254 828400 or email: email@example.com